M ° Luigi Celeghin was born in Briana of Noale, Venice, August 19, 1931. He suddenly passed away last December 15th, 2012, two days after his last concert at "San Giovanni dei Fiorentini" in Rome. The funeral was held in Noale (VE) and he now rests in the cemetery of his hometown. He leaves his wife Franca and sons Angelica and Claudio.
Organist, organologist, professor of Organ and Composition since the late '50s.
During more than 40 years of teaching, most of which took place at the Conservatory "S. Cecilia" in Rome, he created a group of young and well-trained organists.
He taught for over 10 years international courses and seminars for ancient organ, organized by the Directorate of International Musical Youth in Groznjan (Croatia) at the "Fondazione Cini" in Venice and the Music Association "F. Fenaroli" in Lanciano Summer Music Frentana.
He has held seminars in organ interpretation in Italy and abroad. He often participated in juries of national and international organ competitions: Munich, Nuremberg, Budapest, Vilnius, Erfurt.
Performer and interpreter
As concert player he has achieved international fame, travelling throughout the most important countries for value and tradition. In all his years of concert activity he has attended the most important festivals in the world, with repeated tours in Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Yokohama, Kobe), former Soviet Union (Moscow, Leningrad, Kiev, Riga, Tallin, Yerevan, Vilnius) and the United States (New York, Seattle, Portland, Boston). He also was always present in various European festivals (London, Berlin, Paris, Madrid, Rome, Budapest, Prague).
Luigi Celeghin, through his vast repertoire of interpretation, has always stood out, as repeatedly pointed out the press, for his willingness to enter contemporary composers in his repertoire: N.Rota, V.Mortari, G. Ferrari, R.Dionisí, L.Berio, W.Dalla Old F.Mannino, R.Vlad, L.Ferrero, L.Chailly.
These commitments have always been based on the quality of the programs, the possibilities of the instruments, the focus on the old and new literature, as well as a deep "respect for those who love this world of ours."
He was an Honorary Inspector of the Ministry of Culture and Environment for the antique organs of the Latium Region and the entire Italian country. He hassupervised numerous restorations of valuable instruments: Bonatti Giuseppe in Trento, San Pietro in S. Elpidio a Mare Nacchini (AP), Gaetano Callido in Borca di Cadore, Innocenzo Cavazzani, Josef De Martino, Simone and Peter Kirker, Angelo Morettini, Olgiati Rossi, Martini. He coordinated the restoration of the famous organ Francesco La Grassa (1836-1846) of the Church of St. Peter in Trapani, a monumental organ with seven keyboards and 4500 pipes. In 2003, M ° Luigi Celeghin gave an opening concert in the presence of the President of the Republic of Italy Carlo Azeglio Ciampi.
In 2004, being present the Italian President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi, inaugurated the famous organ "Hydraulis" of Giardini del Quirinale.
He invented new tools such as the pioneering organ transmission "full mechanics" of the "Parrocchia di Noale" (Venice), N.Piccinni Conservatory of Bari, St. Mary "Chiesa della Verità" in Viterbo. He has coordinated with the Department of Latium, the recovery of organ in Leonessa Werle-Rieti, the recovery in Rome of a magnificent seventeenth-century organ, an important De Lorenzi with two keyboards in the Veneto region, a positive magnificent seventeenth-century Sicilian school organ at the Trapani Cathedral (Sicily).
The President of the Republic of Italy bestowed him with the silver medal in 1983 and awarded him with a certificate of merit with the following reasons:
"... Valuable performer .... carries out its activities with great rigor, both academically and artistically with large demonstrations and recognition of expertise in the technical field. He has created its own school in the tradition of Italian organ, preparing scores of young organists in a relevant artistic matrix”.
He received the Honorary Citizen of the City of Noale (Venice), where he had designed the first fully mechanical transmission organ in the parish church of SS.Felice and Fortunato in 1969.
He also received the Honorary Citizen of the City of S. Elpidio a Mare (AP), home of the famous organs Nacchini and Gaetano Callido, on which he recorded the CD "Dialogue" for the Naxos label.
For merits gained in terms of musical development, the town of Paola "City of St. Francis" has was also conferred the Honorary Citizenship.
After a tour of the former Soviet Union, the Minister of Culture of the Soviet Union awarded him a parchment certficate "for the real contribution to the development of the organ art in the Soviet Union."
He participated regularly in national and international juries for organ competitions, including the International Organ Competition in Saint-Maurice dAgaune (Switzerland), Internationaler Musikwettbewerl of Munich, Internationaler Wettbewerb Orgelinterpretation Nuremberg, International Organ Competition "F. Liszt" Budapest, International Organ Competition "M Ciurlionis" in Vilnius.
He was the founder and artistic director of the Organ Academy Elpidiense (Marche). He was director of the National Organ Competition of Noale and "Città di Viterbo" and President of the Organist Association of Latium.
He has made recordings for both radio and television in Italy and abroad; recordings with Naxos, Fonit Cetra, Eco, Teldec-Hamburg, Ares, Bongiovanni, Hungaroton, SMC Records, Iktius.
In 2004 the CD "DIALOGUE" for Two Organs, was released, with the collaboration of the organist Bianka Pezic of Zagreb, by Naxos of Hong Kong on the famous Peter Nacchini tools and Gaetano Callido of the Basilica of S. Elpidio a Mare (AP).
His last CD was recorded in 2007 at Notre-Dame de Valere (Switzerland) where the oldest playable organ in the world is found.